The Wasaga Beach Climate Action Team asked all candidates these three questions.
Will you commit to support:
- the hiring of a climate action specialist to create a climate action strategy as so many other municipalities have done?
- the formation of a council advisory committee on climate action, made up of staff and members of the community?
- the creation of a climate change action plan?
Here are my answers:
Yes, I would support all three of these proposals.
- If there is not such a person in the planning department, I would support the hiring of a staff member with such accreditation.
- I believe the current council, at one of their last meetings, referred back to staff that the setting up of a Climate Advisory Committee be handled by a new council. I look forward to reading that report and I strongly support such an advisory committee.
- Staff, the advisory committee and council should work together and have realistic dates, goals and expectations and work within those guidelines to raise awareness and tangible results on climate change.
You can read the other candidates’ responses here.